Teeth whitening has become a popular cosmetic dental procedure, offering a quick and effective way to enhance one’s smile. With the rise in demand, professional teeth whitening services have evolved, offering more options than ever. This guide will delve into the intricacies of professional teeth whitening, covering laser whitening and bleaching, the process involved, expected results, duration of effects, and post-procedure care.
Understanding Professional Teeth Whitening
Professional teeth whitening is a process performed by a dental professional designed to remove stains and lighten the colour of teeth. There are primarily two methods: laser whitening and bleaching.
- Laser Whitening: This is a high-tech option involving the application of a bleaching product to your teeth, followed by the use of a laser to enhance the whitening process. The laser speeds up the reaction of the whitening product, leading to quicker and more pronounced results.
- Bleaching: This involves applying a high concentration of peroxide gel to the teeth. Unlike over-the-counter products, the gel used in professional bleaching is much stronger, offering more significant results.
The process typically begins with a consultation, during which the dentist evaluates your teeth and discusses the expected outcomes. The actual procedure involves:
- Preparation: Your mouth is prepared, ensuring that your gums and lips are protected.
- Application: The whitening agent is applied to your teeth.
- Activation: In the case of laser whitening, a laser is used to activate the agent.
- Completion: The agent is removed, and your teeth are rinsed.
The entire process usually takes about an hour.
Results can vary based on the original colour of your teeth and the extent of staining. Generally, teeth can become several shades lighter. However, it’s important to have realistic expectations and know that results can vary from person to person.
Duration of Effects
The effects of professional teeth whitening can last from a few months to up to three years, depending on your habits and oral hygiene. Consuming staining substances like coffee, tea, or tobacco can shorten the duration.
Care After the Procedure
Post-whitening care is crucial for maintaining the results:
- Avoid foods and drinks that can stain, for at least 48 hours.
- Maintain good oral hygiene, including regular brushing and flossing.
- Consider using a whitening toothpaste to help maintain the results.
- Regular dental check-ups and cleanings are essential.
Professional teeth whitening is a safe and effective way to brighten your smile. Whether you choose laser whitening or bleaching, the key to lasting results is good oral hygiene and regular dental care. Always consult with your dentist to determine the best option for you and to ensure that your teeth and gums are healthy enough for the procedure. At Royal Dental Care, you can get pearly white, stainless teeth in just 1 visit. Book your appointment here.